The New Gilded Age: The New Yorker Looks at the Culture of Affluence – edited by David Remnick. Prophetic.
On Saudi Arabia – Karen Elliott House. Surreal.
Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates (fiction) – Tom Robbins. Outrageous.
Turning the Flywheel – Jim Collins. Insightful.
Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. – Ron Chernow, narrated by George Plimpton. Boring.
Being Mortal – Atul Gawande. Heart-breaking.
The Attention Merchants – Tim Wu. Comprehensive.
Hooked – How to Build Habit-Forming Products – Nir Eyal. Prescriptive.
How To Build A Car – Adrian Newey. Average.
Fall; Or, Dodge in Hell – Neal Stephenson (fiction). WTF.
Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow – Yuval Noah Harari. Thought-provoking.
Free as in Freedom – Richard Stallman and the Free Software Revolution – Sam Williams (re-read). Inspiring.
Principles: Life and Work – Ray Dalio. Instructive.
The Unwinding – George Packer. Unsettling.
Why We Sleep – Matthew Walker. Eye-opening (ha).
None. See “2018: Books vs TV“
Henderson the Rain King – Saul Bellow
Insane Clown President: Dispatches from the 2016 Circus – Matt Taibbi
Kafka on the Shore (fiction) – Haruki Murakami
Cryptonomicon – Neal Stephenson (re-read)
The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future – Kevin Kelly (re-read)
The Wolf of Wall Street – Jordan Belfort
How We Got To Now – Stephen Johnson
Leonardo’s Brain: Understanding da Vinci’s Creative Genius – Leonard Shlain
A Short History of Nearly Everything – Bill Bryson
At Home: A Short History of Private Life – Bill Bryson
1Q84 (fiction) – Haruki Murakami
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt – Edmund Morriss
Theodore Rex – Edmund Morriss
Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World – Michael Lewis
How To Be Alone – Sara Maitland
@War – The Military-Internet Complex – Shane Harris
Hitch-22: A Memoir – Christopher Hitchens
Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products – Nir Eyal
Growth Hacker Marketing – Ryan Holiday
Alexander the Great – Philip Freeman
The Blockchain – Melanie Swan
Cryptonomicon (fiction) – Neal Stephenson (re-read)
Infinite Jest (fiction) – David Foster Wallace (re-read)
Down Under – Bill Bryson (re-read). Also published as ‘In a Sunburned Country’
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Omnibus – Douglas Adams (re-read)
Oblivion (fiction) – David Foster Wallace (re-read)
Vineland (fiction) – Thomas Pynchon (re-read)
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy (fiction) – Stieg Larsson (re-read)
From this blog post.
- Descent into Chaos, Ahmed Rashid
- Consider the Lobster, David Foster Wallace
- Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America, Matt Taibbi
- Foreign Correspondent: 50 Years of Reporting South Asia
- Imaginary Homelands: Essays and Criticism 1981 -1991, Salman Rushdie
- In Xanadu: A Quest, William Dalrymple
- The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America, Bill Bryson
- The Life and Death of Krishnamurti, Mary Lutyens
- Made in America, Bill Bryson
- In a sunburned country, Bill Bryson
- Mother Tongue, Bill Bryson
- The Checklist Manifesto, Atul Gawande
Nonfiction, C-list (disappointments)
- Viral Loop, Adam Penenberg
- Alwaleed, Riz Khan
- The Nonfiction Collection, Volume 2, Penguin India
- Mindless Eating, Brian Wansink
- Grindhopping, Laura Vanderkam